Smith Variant Helmet
Designed with classic styling, the Smith Variant Helmet is fully loaded with modern features so you can rock it old school and protect your head with today's innovative technology. This snow helmet uses Hybrid Shell Construction, fusing a hard plastic shell with In-Mold foam, for a lightweight, low-profile look that fits great and complies with ASTM F 2040 and CE EN 1077:2007 ski and snowboard helmet safety standards. Lined with X-Static Performance fabric, odors are thwarted, temperature is regulated and static is minimized so you don't look like you're hooked up to a lightning globe at a science fair when you take your ski helmet off in the lodge. Keep your gloves on as you slide the tab that controls the 22 vents to regulate airflow. This helmet even reduces the fog on your goggles with the AirEvac 2 Ventilation System that channels warm air away form your face. Customizing a pressure-free fit is a breeze with the Adjustable Boa knob and the Snapfit Ear Pads are easily removed for multi-season use.
- Hybrid Shell Construction fuses polycarbonate and ABS plastic shells, combines Bombshell technology with In-Mold technology to create a lightweight, low-profile helmet that fits well without compromising protection
- X-Static Performance Lining: inhibits odor retention, regulates temperature and minimizes static; antimicrobial silver ion treatment is permanently bonded so it will not wear off
- 22 Vents: airflow travels from goggles, through internal channels in the foam and out through 22 external vents
- Sliding tab opens and closes vents in of helmet; vents are easy to adjust, even with gloves on
- AirEvac 2 Ventilation System channels warm, moist air away from your goggles and forehead and brings fresh, cool air through your helmet
- Adjustable Boa® Fit System provides an even fit without pressure points, with a simple twist of the knob Boa retracts loose cable and dials in a quick, secure closure
- Snapfit Ear Pads: remove earpads for washing or upgrading to an audio system
- Removable Goggle Lock
- Low-profile dual regulator adjustable climate control
- Compatible with Skullcandy™ Bluetooth®, Twin-Tip and Single Shot audio systems (sold separately)
- Certification: complies with ASTM F 2040, CE EN 1077:2007 CLASS B ski and snowboard helmet safety standards
- Weight: 18 oz, 520 g
Buy the Smith Variant Helmet from Altrec.com. Orders over $45 qualify for free shipping.
Reviews - Smith Variant Helmet
Great helmet with one minor flaw
This is my first ski helmet. As a long-time Giro bike helmet owner, I originally wanted to stick with the brand I knew. The Smith Variant seemed to suit my needs and budget better though. I love this helmet. It fits great and is plenty warm. The easy ventilation adjustments came in handy during warmer spring skiing, too. Like all helmets that cover your ears, it does dampen sound a bit. But not so much that you can't hear. The mesh panels over the ears are a thoughtful feature. My only complaint is the adjustment of the chin strap. It could definitely be easier and more straightforward. In my case, by the time I lengthened the strap to a comfortable position, it wouldn't stay in the built-in loops that are designed to keep the strap from dangling under your chin. Overall, this is a minor gripe though. In the end, this is a great, well-built helmet that feels like it will last forever.
Great helmet at a great price (purchased during Altrec's winter clearance) !!! BOA fit system allows for a perfect fit. I found the helmet quite warm on zero degree days and with enough ventilation for the warmer days. Be cautious with fitting of goggles; I wore a large size goggle which I found to be too big for the helmet.
I recently replaced my Giro Fuse with the Smith Variant and I couldn't be more pleased with the change. The ventilation is far superior as is the lining. The fit is much more adjustable and I feel much more protected due to the design, which is more substantial without adding weight. Lastly, because of the vents in the leading edge, my goggles don't collect snow on the top and fog less. Overall, a great purchase and value.