- Alaska's oldest federally designated park was established in
1910 to commemorate the 1804 Battle of Sitka. All that remains
of this last major conflict between Europeans and Alaska Natives
is the site of the Tlingit Fort and battlefield, located within this
scenic 113 acre park in a temperate rain forest.
Southeast Alaska totem poles and a temperate rain forest
setting combine to provide spectacular scenery along the park's
coastal trail. The trail circles back along Indian River to the
visitor center. Another loop trail continues across the Indian
River footbridge past the Memorial to the Russian Midshipmen
who died in the Battle of Sitka.
The park's story continues at the Russian Bishop's House,
one of three surviving examples of Russian colonial architecture
in North America. This original 1843 log structure conveys the
legacy of Russian America through exhibits, refurbished Bishop's
living quarters and lavish icons in the Chapel of the