Description - The Flint Hills Scenic Byway was designated a Kansas Scenic Byway on June 14, 1995 by the Kansas Secretary of Transportation. The Flint Hills Scenic Byway stretches 47.2 miles across the Flint Hills of Kansas on K-177 between Council Grove and Cassoday. It is a beautiful drive year-round showing off the panoramic vistas of the tallgrass prairie. Historic sites abound in Council Grove from the Kaw Mission and the Last Chance Store.
The byway passes the recently designated National Tallgrass Prairie with its showcase limestone mansion, schoolhouse and barn then follows the roadway through Strong City and Cottonwood Falls, site of the Chase County Courthouse, in operation since 1873.
South of Cottonwood Falls, the Flint Hills Scenic Byway travels above the hills for more panoramic views of the ranches in the area then dips down into the creekside to follow magnificent stone walls around farmsteads still in operation. Cassoday is the southern end of the byway where antique shoppers may find just what they have been looking for.
The Flint Hills Scenic Byway is a two-lane, paved road easily reached from the Kansas Turnpike, I-70, U.S. 50 and U.S. 56. Tourist amenities are available in the towns along the route including historic restaurants, hotels, antiques, artisans, and other facilities. The local byway committee is in the process of developing additional educational kiosks to further enhance the traveler's experience in the future.
- The Flint Hills Scenic Byway (K-177) is known for it's Cultural, Historical, Natural and Scenic Attractions.
Directions from :
- From the north: Take Interstate 70, approximately 40 miles west of Topeka and 15 miles east of Junction City, to K-177. Proceed south to Council Grove to the northern start of the byway.
- From the east: At Emporia, take U.S. Highway 50 west to Strong City and join the Flint Hills Scenic Byway at its midpoint. Travel north to Council Grove then return and travel south to Cassoday for the whole route.
- From the south: Take Interstate 35 which is the Kansas Turnpike (a toll facility) and exit at Cassoday directly onto the byway.
- From the west: Either come east on U.S. Highway 56 to Council Grove or U.S. Highway 50 to Strong City.