- The Lapham-Patterson House is a monument to the imagination, creative engineering and craftsmanship of the Victorian Era. Fish scale shingles, oriental-style porch decorations, longleaf pine inlaid floors, and a remarkable double-flue chimney with a walkthrough stairway and cantilevered balcony exemplify the quality and skill of its Victorian creators. Due to its outstanding architectural significance, the Lapham-Patterson House was named a National Historic Landmark in 1975.
Copyright: Georgia State Parks
The Lapham-Patterson house.
Built between 1884-85 as a winter cottage for prosperous shoe merchant C.W. Lapham of Chicago, the residence was well-equipped with its own gas lighting system, hot and cold running water, indoor plumbing and modern closets. Like many other successful Northerners, Lapham came to the bustling resort town of Thomasville for its mild, pleasing climate and the supposed therapeutic value of the pine-scented air. The Laphams sold the winter house in 1894, and it was resold in 1905 to James G. Patterson. The Pattersons remained in possession until 1970.
Recreation - The primary activity at the Lapham-Patterson House State Historic Site is to tour the house. There are not any outdoor activities offered at this historic site.
Climate - Georgia has a warm climate, especially in the southern regions of the state. Expect high temperatures and humidity levels during spring and summer months. The area can offer a relatively warm escape for snow-free outdoor recreation during the winter months.
Lapham-Patterson House State Historic Site is located in Thomasville in the Plains Region of southern Georgia. The house is situated at 626 North Dawson Street in Thomasville, Georgia.