Description - This information was provided by North Dakota Parks & Recreation Department
Elmwood is a 20 acre tract of land along the Park River in Grafton. Located on three acres is a beautiful Victorian mansion, built in 1895 by C.A.M. Spencer, North Dakota's second attorney general.
William C. Treumann, the second owner, was commander of the North Dakota Volunteers who saw duty in the Philippines in 1898. It was Mr. Treumann who registerd the property as "Elmwood" in 1913.
Luther and Mary Nancy Williamson, operators of one of the last independent milk companies in North Dakota, purchased the property in 1945. It was the Williamsons who sought recognition of the property by the National Register of Historic Places, and made a gift of the property to North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department in 1986.
The site was first opened to the public in 1989 and is managed by a local Board of Directors. The house and grounds have been restored and is rented for meetings, birthdays, anniversaries, small weddings and showers. The kitchen is well equipped and the house is beautifully furnished in the Victorian manner.
- *Victorian mansion
*Rented for meetings
*Rented for birthdays
*Rented for anniversaries
*Rented for small weddings and showers
Recreation - The options available are: Hiking, picnicing, touring, and of course viewing the scenery.
Historic Elmwood is located in the town of Grafton. From the junction of ND Hwy. 17 and US Hwy. 81, go north on Hwy. 81 to 5th Street. East (right) on 5th Street, crossing the railroad tracks, to Stephen Avenue. Then north (left) on Stephen Avenue for 2 blocks to Historic Elmwood.