Description - Built in 1876, the Belmont Courthouse was the seat of Nye County government until 1905. The building is partially restored and offers a glimpse into Nevada's colorful past.
- Belmont is located on the southeast slope of the Toquima Range. Rich high grade surface deposits of silver ore were originally discovered by an unknown Indian. Shortly afterwards in October 1865, the first official claim was filed by a Mexican prospector. Word was out! Tents went up first, followed by buildings of brick and wood. By 1867, the population of Belmont reached 2,000, second only to that of Virginia City. As often happened in mining towns, the completion of the courthouse coincided with a drop in the mining production. In 1876, the year the $22,000 courthouse was completed, mineral production dropped to $11,000. Belmont had occasional bursts of activity, but by the early 1900's, it had become and remained a ghost town.
The courthouse stands tall, as if it should be in use today. Although no developed recreation facilities are available at the courthouse, camping and picnic facilities are available on nearby public lands or at the Pine Creek Campground in the Monitor Valley, 20 miles to the north.
Recreation - The only recreation activity available at this park is viewing the historic courthouse and getting a feel for Nevada's history. Tours of the courthouse are given on some weekends during summer months. Contact the Fallon Region office for dates and times.
Climate - As throughout this part of Nevada, seasonal temperatures vary greatly at the park, from hot summers to cold winters. Summer temperatures can reach 90 degrees during the day, with winter daytime temperatures only about 40 degrees. Snow is very possible during the winter months.
The ghost town of Belmont is located 45 miles northeast of Tonopah via U.S. Highway 6, State Route 376 and Monitor Valley Road.