Description - "Ahquabi" is a Sauk and Fox word meaning "resting place," and it is a fitting name for this scenic 770-acre park. The park site was recommended by "Ding" Darling, nationally known Iowa political cartoonist and conservationist, and was dedicated in 1936. Many of its structures were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930's and remain available for the enjoyment of park visitors.
- Shelters and Enclosed Lodge
Three open shelters are available for picnics and may be reserved for a fee through the park manager.
A stone lodge overlooking the lake may be rented through the park manager. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps, it is very popular for family reunions, weddings and other large gatherings.
The campground is located by the lakeshore. There are 141 campsites (85 with electrical hookups), modern rest rooms and showers and two trailer dump stations. Each campsite has a picnic table and fireplace. An organized youth group camping area is inside the main campground in the "non-electric" area. Camping permits are obtained by self-registration at the campground. Camping Fees can be paid at the site. A playground is located near the campground.
Hikers, snowmobilers and cross-country skiers can travel all the way around the lake on a beautiful gravel trail. Other scenic foot trails wind through the woods.
Lake Activities (swimming, boating, fishing)
A 115-acre man-made lake has a large sandy beach and offers unsupervised swimming. Boats, canoes, kayaks, and paddleboats are available for rent through the concessionaire. Bait is also available through the concessionaire.
A modern boat ramp is located at the northern end of the park. Another ramp is located in the campground. Lake Ahquabi is popular with anglers. A number of fishing jetties and a handicapped accessible fishing pier provide great places for a day of shoreline fishing.
Indianola is six miles north, and is the home of Simpson College and the site of the annual hot air balloon races. Des Moines, Iowa's capital, is 22 miles north.