Frequently Asked Questions about Aspen Ranger District
|Where and when can I catch the bus to the Maroon Bells?
||The bus to the Maroon Bells runs from 8:30am to 5:00pm, every 20 minutes. The bus runs only from Aspen Highlands Ski Area.
|Where can I go to camp?
||The Aspen Ranger District has 8 campgrounds. Only four will accept reservations. They are: Silver Bar, Silver Bell, Silver Queen and Difficult. The remaining campgrounds are first come first served.
|How do I go about getting a reservation?
||To reserve a campsite call 1-877-444-6777. This is a toll free number. Please know which campground you'd like to stay at before calling. This is a national number and is frequently busy. Try calling at odd and nonpeak hours. You can also reserve online at www.reserveusa.com.
|When is check out time at the campgrounds?
||Check out time is at 2:00pm.
|Where can I get a shower?
||You can shower at The Red Brick Recreation Center at 110 E. Hallam. They are open from 12-2 p.m. and each shower costs $3.00.
|How is the fishng around the Maroon Bells?
||There is fishing in Maroon Lake, but it has not been stocked this year. An alternative to Maroon Lake would be to fish along Maroon Creek.
|Do I need a fishing license?
||Yes, if you are 15 years or older.
|Where can I get a fishing license and how much does it cost?
||The following businesses sell fishing licenses:
- Aspen Rod & Gun Company, 520 E. Cooper Ave., Aspen
- Carl's Pharmacy, 306 E. Main, Aspen
- Miner's Building, 319 E. Main, Aspen
- Oxbow Outfitting Company, 765 E. Durant Ave., Aspen
The prices for a license are:
*Resident - $20.00, with the insurance - $20.25
*Non-resident - 40.00, with the insurance - $40.25
1-day/5-day permits are also available.
|Where can I go hiking?
||There are numerous hiking opportunities in the Aspen area. To find out more about the hiking trails in the Aspen area please call the Aspen Ranger District located on the West side of Aspen. That number is (970) 925-3445, or write to us at Aspen Ranger District, 806 West Hallam, Aspen, Co 81611. If you are hiking in the Aspen area for an extended period of time we strongly reccommend stopping by the office to speak to our rangers.
|Where can I go to picnic?
||Wonderful picnicing areas around the area are Difficult Campground, The Grottos, East Maroon (Just be beyond the gate by 8:30am), Portal, the Discovery/Braille Trail, and the various city parks around Aspen.
|Where can I buy firewood?
||Firewood may be purchased at the local grocery store. Firewood permits are available at the Aspen District Office, located at 806 W. Main St., Aspen.
|Where is the closest gas station?
||- Amoco Gas Station, Aspen Airport Business Center (for the Maroon Valley area)
- Texaco Gas Station, East Main St., Aspen (Independence Pass Road campgrounds)
- Twin Lakes Area located East over Independence Pass
|Where can I fill up with water?
||Forest Service Office at 806 W. Hallam, Aspen
All Forest Service Campgrounds, except Portal and Lincoln Creek
Amoco Stations at the Aspen Airport Business Center or in Aspen
|Where is the nearest Hospital?
||Aspen Valley Hospital located at 0401 Castle Creek Road, Aspen, (970) 925-1120.
|Is my GOLDEN AGE/GOLDEN ACCESS PASSPORT valid for camp fees?
||Yes, fees are half price with these passes. When making a reservation, please have your passport number ready. The campground reservationists cannot refund after the fact. If paying at a campsite that does not require advance reservations, please put your passport number on the envelope used to pay fees at the campground.
|Where can I buy a GOLDEN AGE/GOLDEN ACCESS passport?
||You can purchase these passes at the entrance station on Maroon Creek Road or at the Aspen Ranger District Office located at 806 W. Hallam, Aspen, CO. Phone number: (970) 925-3445.
|What STORES (grocery, liquor, camping supplies) are near by?
- City Market located at 711 E. Cooper Ave.
- Clark's Market located at 300 Puppy Smith Street
- Airport Liquor, 119 C Atlantic Ave., Aspen Airport Business Center
- Aspen Wine and Spirits, 300 Puppy Smith Street
- Carl's Pharmacy located at 306 E. Main Street
- Grape and Grain located at 319 E. Hopkins, Aspen
- Great Western Grog Shop, located in the City Market Parking complex.
- Aspen Sports located at 408 E. Cooper Ave., Aspen
- Ute Mountaineer located at 308 S. Mill St., Aspen
- Alpine Ace Hardware located at 300 Puppy Smith St.
- True Value, Miner's Building, 319 E. Main, Aspen
|Where is the nearest public phone?
||There is a pay phone located at the T Lazy 7 Ranch, about 6 miles down Maroon Creek Road at the snowmobile office. City Market has a pay phone for the Independence Pass campers.
|Where is the nearest LAUNDRY?
||The Sunshine Laundromat & Dry Cleaners located at 465 N. Mill St., Aspen
|Where cna I get PROPANE?
||- Amoco Gas Station, Aspen Airport Business Center.
- Aspen Party Rentals, 300 Aspen Airport Business
- Aspen/Basalt Campground, located in El Jebel.
- Arrow Gas, located at Highway 133 in Carbondale.
|Where can I buy diesel fuel?
||Amoco Gas Station, Aspen Airport Business Center
|Where can DUMP my HOLDING TANKS?
||- Aspen/Basalt Campground located at El Jebel
|Where can I get AUTO PARTS?
||Napa Auto Supply, El Jebel
|Where is a TOWING SERVICE?
||- Palazzi's, Aspen, (970) 925-3549
- D&D Towing (AAA), Aspen, (970) 925-1329
- AJax Towing, Aspen, (970) 920-3950
|Where can I get my VEHICLE REPAIRED?
||- Aspen Valley Motors, Aspen Airport Business Center, (970) 925-2728
- Tom's Mobile Assistance, Aspen, (970) 923-6741
- Basalt Auto Inc./NAPA Autocare, 35 Park Ave., Basalt, (970) 927-2886
|Where is the nearest VET?
||- Aspen Animal Hospital, located at the Aspen Airport Business Center, 301 Pacific Ave., Aspen, 24 hour emergency # is (970) 925-2611.
- Aspen Valley Veterinary Hospital, located on Highway 82 just west of lower Woody Creek turnoff (nine miles west of Aspen). 24 hour emergency # is (970) 923-2022.
- Valley Mobile Veterinary Practice, emergency # (970) 925-6412
|Is there a KENNEL nearby where I can board my pet?
||- Tail Waggers, Aspen Airport Business Center, (970) 925-6076
|Who do I call for RAFTING TRIPS?
||For more information on oufitters in the surrounding areas please call the Aspen Ranger District. That number is (970) 925-3445. The outfitters in the Aspen area are as listed below:
- Aspen Water Sports Center, (970) 925-1153
- Aspen White Water Adventures, (970) 925-1153
- Blazing Paddles, (970) 925-5651
- Colorado Riff Raft, (970) 925-5405
- Rivers Rats, (970) 925-7648
- River Runners Ltd., 1-800-525-2081
- Snowmass White Water, (970) 925-7648
|Who do I call for JEEP or BIKE TOURS?
||For more information on outfitters in the surrounding areas please call the Aspen Ranger District. That number is (970) 925-3445. The oufitters in the Aspen area are as listed below:
- Aspen Adventures Jeep Tours, (970) 925-4FUN
- Blazing Trails Jeep Tours, (970) 925-5651
- Aspen Alpine Guides, Inc., (970) 925-6618
- Blazing Pedals Downhill Bicycle Tours, (970) 925-5651
- Timberline Bicycle Tours, (970) 920-3217
|Who do I call for HORSEBACK RIDING?
||For more information on the outfitters in the surrounding areas please call the Aspen Ranger District. That number is (970) 925-3445. The outfitters in the Aspen area are as listed below:
- Aspen Wilderness Outfitters, PO Box 312, Woody Creek, CO 81656
- Capitol Peak Outfitters, (970) 963-0211
- Elk Mountain Stables, Inc., (970) 925-8825
- Snowmass Falls Outfitters, (970) 963-6343
- Snowmass Stables, Inc., (970) 923-4252
- Stajduhar Ranches, (970) 858-3760
- T Lazy 7 Ranch, (970) 925-4614
|Where is the POST OFFICE?
||Located near Clark's Market on Puppy Smith Street, Aspen
|Where is the LIBRARY?
||Across from the Hotel Jerome in Aspen
|Where are the local CHURCHES?
||There is a selection of churches in Aspen - see the Official Guide to Aspen in the Handbook for locations.